Re: Comment on Olympic bus drivers

"Ian" <matakana(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
8pir14$72c$1@bugstomper.ihug.com.au">news:8pir14$72c$1@bugstomper.ihug.com.au...
> Mmmm.....Interesting to read discussion about buses on this rail
newsgroup.

> I can tell from reading that the contributors are gaining their info from
> the media, nothing first hand.
>
> It is very easy to take a cheap shot and blame bus drivers. In reality
there
> are many more involved in the organisation and running of all the
transport
> system.
>
> I'm surprised that it's taken so long for the bus drivers to protest. I
mean
> many are along way from the comforts of home and have been treated fairly
> poorly.
> Certainly no 5 star treatment !
>
>  Place yourself in their position, would you be happy to share a
> multiple-share room for a few weeks with strangers ? Sleep in beds that
are
> designed for kids ?
> Two showers for 20 people to use. Eat meals that are designed around a
"cost
> per meal" concept ? Find out at 02:30am that your next shift starts at
> 06:30am ? That if your shift does start at 12:30pm the only available
> transport from your accomodation leaves at 06:30am ?
> To have been "trained (???)" by trainers that don't know the city well.
> There is a huge difference between driving around Sydney in a car and
> driving around it in a bus. And if you aren't working on the roads all the
> time, there is so much you can not know. Let alone teach others, people
> totally unfamiliar with this city.
>
> In theory, a fairly good training package was designed but in practical
> terms it was "light on".
>
> For the drivers who have taken the challenge to be available for Olympic
> work, especially those from out of town, and out of state, my hat goes off
> to you.
>
> For hanging in there and doing your best, when the system in place has so
> many flaws.
>
> Best of luck, you deserve better than to be treated like dogs.
>
> Ian.

Couldn't agree more, it's hard enough to drive a car around Sydney, let
alone a heavy vehicle or bus in normal times.  Many of the buses and drivers
are from country areas, and can hardly be expected to become familiar with
Sydney conditions in a day or two.  Canberra's ACTION is sending 60 buses
and a lesser number of drivers, at least it's school hols so there's no
school runs required during the Games.

Regards

David Bennetts
Canberra