Insulated Rail Joints.

After an early morning trip to Campbelltown, and a little inspection of
Platform 4, I noticed that Platform 4 now has track circuiting.

I understand the reasoning for that, however...
What I don't understand, is that 5ft before the buffers, both rails have
Insulated plates connecting the full length of track with the last 5 ft that
stop at the big concrete block at the Up end of platform 4.

Why would the signal engineers go to the trouble of insulated joints 5 ft
before the buffers, when the track is insulated by the sleepers and a 4ft
8.5 inch "air gap" at the end of the line.. weird..

Ian, maybe you can help..

--
Thanks,
Tony Gatt.