Re: [NSW] Long Lunch Train during Olympics Cancelled

Jonathan Lau <jonlau@ozemail.com.au> wrote in article
<39B6F948.C0EE0245@ozemail.com.au>:

>3801 Limited has advised that the Steam hauled 3801 Long Lunch trains
>operating over the Olympics period have been cancelled.

Probably a good idea, considering the implications if it fails ahead of an
Olympic Park bound train.

>Which brainless department allowed it to go ahead in the first place
>then decided to cancel it?

Probably not brainless. 3801 ltd may have decided (and I am in no way
associated with them, or any rumours that may coincidentally connect with
them, hence these comments are only my own thoughts) that it was a good
idea to run the train during the Olympics then backed out at the last
minute, taking into consideration cost, risk and benefits. Surely patronage
would be down at this time, simply because the Olympics are getting the
whole attention. If 3801 fails, even with a second loco, you can expect
considerable delays.

Could this possibly be a SOCOG decision based on yesterdays derailment, and
the power outage the day before?

>So much for NSW tourism.......

People are going to NSW for the Olympics, not the trains. Anything else is
just incidental.

The smooth running of the Olympic games and associated transport systems is
far more important than a few gunzels riding a steam train.

MK