Re: Relief at last

"Sam Eades" <eadess@yahoo.com> wrote in message
39B6CA0A.F656BB03@yahoo.com">news:39B6CA0A.F656BB03@yahoo.com...

> Rod Gayford wrote:      <snip>
> I think that one way of ensuring that somthing like this doesn't happen
again,
> is install speed trips (trip arms spaced at even intervals between
signals,
> timed to go down when the speed of the train has been prooved as safe), to
> physically make sure that the driver cannot go too fast. Drivers hate them
and
> they are annoying, but effective. Unless the trip is defective, there is
no way
> that the driver can speed through them.
>
> Sam

This is only a mechanical solution.  The 21st century starts in a few
months!
What about proposing an electronic system, with in cab signalling, or an ATP
as fitted to Sydney trams. The ATP continuously monitors vehicle speed and
gives the driver advanced warning of reductions in the speed limit and will
apply the brakes if needed.  I once witnessed a tram driver trying to do a
SPAD, pulled her up with a mighty jolt.

Ted