Re: [SA] Booster engines in 500 Class Steam Loco's

"Jonathan Lau" <jonlau@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
39C0D6A6.F1B4B51@ozemail.com.au">news:39C0D6A6.F1B4B51@ozemail.com.au...
> I have read that the 500 Class 4-8-2 loco's of the South Australian
> Railways were rebuilt as 4-8-4 type, with a Booster engine fitted in the
> trailing truck allowing increased tractive effort.
>
> Can anyone describe this booster engine and how it works?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon Lau

Couldn't find anything about the booster engine itself but one book I have
says
"in 1929, No. 507 was fitted with a booster which necessitated fitting a
four wheel Delta-type trailing truck in place of the two-wheel trailing
truck. Work continued on the modification of the remaining engines in the
class, and as each was modified they were re-classified as the '500B' class.
By 1936 all ten engines had been fitted with boosters."
Regards,
Chris.