Re: VFT Dead in water

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000 13:35:45 +1100, "Dino64" <dino64@iprimus.com.au>
wrote:

>Mondays, Sydney Telegraph quoted a government spokesmen as saying that the
>VFT from Sydney to Canberra way dead, as the government didn't believe that
>this project would be finished without government money having to be
>invested. This article said that an official announcement would be made
>soon.
>
>So there've dumped the second airport at Bagery Creek and now there've
>dumped the VFT. What's next, perhaps 24hrs operations for Sydney airport?
>
>Dino

I wonder if this outcome would have been differant if the NSW Govt had
been a Liberal Govt.
One of the outcomes of the Olympics was to demonstrate that Sydney
Airport is able to handle a hell of a lot more people and airline
movements than it normally does .
The downside of all this is of course far more noise for the suburbs
that surround Sydney Airport , but this is largely a State Govt
problem as most of the affected suburbs are Labor held electorates.
The other major problem is that this country has no concept of a
national transport policy , airlines are a Federal responsibility,
railways are a State responsibilty,and a VFT doesnt fit into the
existing model,in the same way as the original VFT to Melb didnt fit..
The really sad thing is the total amount of money and time that has
now been wasted on study after study into hi speed rail.

MD