Re: [Tas] North-west rail improvements

Barry Campbell wrote:

> athan wrote in message <39FD1E11.7D500C51@bigstix.com>...
> >
> >Penguin was once a major station, having a port that served the local
> >iron ore mine and agricultural interests
>
> <snip>
>
> What was the port at Penguin and when did it cease to function?
>
> Barry Campbell

The port at Penguin was basically to ship wood and iron ore from the
local industries.  Determining exactly when the port shut down is
difficult to assertain. Its proximity to Burnie and Ulverstone, coupled
with the expansion of the Western line from Ulverstone to Burnie led to
its downfall, coupled with the shallow nature of the bay.  The town was
proclaimed in 1875, having been settled around 1860.

One feature from a rail point of view was the horse drawn tramway from
Fern Dene mine. This followed the Penguin Creek in the last few
kilometres, terminating at the present site of the railway station.

Certainly, according to the minutes of the Penguin Political Association
around the turn of the century (the forerunner of the Municipal Council,
of which my great grandfather was secretary) the port had certainly
declined by then. One of the meetings dealt with the decision not to
restore the landing that was wrecked by storm damage.  The location of
the port was directly opposite the railway and tramway station.

Most of the coastal towns had wharves and jetties that allowed coastal
trade in all matters of agriculture, mining and trade.  The town of
Penguin had numerous silver and iron ore mines, but nothing substantial
by modern standards. The remains of the wharf were still clearly visibile
in the 1970s and 1980s.  I suspect they have been long removed or decayed
now.

In 1975, during the centenary of the town, a couple of highlights that
standout was the unveiling of a 3 metre high ferro-cement penguin by Sir
Reg Ansett (who had some link with the town...what, I know not!) and the
centenary steam train from Penguin to Wynyard. It's a long time ago, but
I seem to recall it was hauled by a CCS class loco, and was one of the
last steam trains run by TGR. I recall hanging out the window of a SP
class carriage, itself once a steam driven carriage.  Nothing like the
smell of coal and occasional muck in the eye to distort memories!!