Re: Hunter Valley Happenings

Matthew Geier <matthew@mail.usyd.edu.au> wrote in message
news:8t5khs$a7p$1@spacebar.ucc.usyd.edu.au...
> In article <8t5inm$e9d$1@pc1762.alcatel.com.au>,
>  <thebaron@nospam.ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> >Surely you would go for the compatability with the rest of the network.
> >

>  The sooner we start with a 'Real' electrification the better. The coal
> road is a good place to start...
>  Interoperablity isnt a major issue with modern power electronics. The
> 25kAC heavy haulers could work under 1500VDC, but probably at reduced
> power, the 'low voltage' DC overhead wouldn't be able to pour in the the
> power.

The electrification in the Hunter doesn't go further west than than the
connecting line between Broadmeadow and Hamilton.  If 25kV was adopted for
the coal traffic, then electrifying the line wouldn't necessarily mean dual
voltage operation was required, as the lines to both coal loaders (Kooragang
and Port Waratah) are several km away from the wires now (the only
exceptions are for coal trains coming from south of Newcastle, but I think
this is now only a couple of trains a day, since Teralba colliery closed
down).  Of course, this raises the question of passenger trains running on
the line, and for whether you'd make them dual voltage, or keep the diesels
running.  As I said in my original post, it could tip the balance between
closing and keeping the line into Newcastle.

>  The 86 class are balasted, apparently the space taken by the balast can
> be used for a 25kVAC step-down transformer. The transformer is then the
> balast, and the loco becomes dual-voltage.
>
>  Tangaras are supposed to be suffciently modular that a 25K AC conversion
> is possible, however I don't know where you would put the transformers,
> they are top heavy as it is....
>
> >Electric coal trains anyone??? I guess it depends on the price of
> >oil. Does anyone know the operating cost of a diesel loc vs
> >electric??
>
>  The 90 class were delayed while some investigation was carried out.
Electrics