Re: Final no to second airport

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000 22:49:13 GMT, dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David
Bromage) wrote:

>Cabinet has ruled out building a second airport in western Sydney,
>clearing the way for a $4 billion sale of Sydney airport and a rash of
>large building projects around Australia.
>
>http://www.theaustralian.com.au/common/story_page/0,4511,1344590%255E601,00.html

The interesting issue here is that by not building Badgerys Creek, the
Feds have effectively saved themselves around $7.5B , the current
estimated cost , plus enhanced the sale price of Mascot.
Any money that just before the next election we will hear of a raft of
new infrastructure projects costing nothing like the saved $7.5 B.
On this basis alone the feds should build a VFT from Sydney to Melb
using the saved $7.5B plus the $4B from the Mascot sale.

In reality ,what is most likely to happen is not much at all.
There will be some grand promises about new projects but not much
action.

MD