Re: $4b transport plan to ease petrol heat

Tezza <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote:

>Still way down on what it was. Better get those less stupid pedestrians
>ordered quickly.

Yes, we reduced the road toll from its 1970s levels chiefly by cracking down
on speeding and drink-driving.  It now seems to have bottomed out; sheer
recklessness seems to be harder to keep under control.  Not to mention sheer
stupidity on motorists' part: I recall the case of the woman whose car veered
onto the wrong side of the road and hit a group of cyclists with lethal
results; the woman claimed she had a coughing fit.  Then there was the car
that jumped the kerb and ploughed into pedestrians in the middle of Footscray
early this year.

As for the alleged stupidity of pedestrians, exactly what proportion of
serious incidents are caused by pedestrians once you exclude the drunk-and-
disorderly (who seem to present a hazard whether on foot or behind the wheel)?

TM