Re: $4b transport plan to ease petrol heat

On Sun, 22 Oct 2000 13:33:55 +1000, "Tezza"
<tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote:

>"Taliesin Walker"
>> "Tezza"
>> >"Taliesin Walker"
>> >

>> >I beg your pardon! Car drivers *more* than pay their bloody way. Both the
>NSW
>> >and Federal governments collect far more in fuel taxes than is spent on
>roads.
>> True, but only if you consider spending on roads, and not the cost of
>> accidents, lost time and polution.
>

>If they spent a reasonable proportion of the funds collected from cars, on
>roads then accidents, lost time and pollution would be greatly reduced.

It can be shown that building roads leads to worse traffic in many
cases.

You can hope to build roads that are idiot proof. If you try people
seem to have a tendancy to drive more stupidly, thus reducing the
benefit.

Tali