Re: XPT Melb - Adelaide?

David Bromage <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in message
S5yG5.89$QR.5076@news0.optus.net.au">news:S5yG5.89$QR.5076@news0.optus.net.au...
> Peter Berrett (pberrett@optushome.com.au) wrote:
>
> > Could the XPT run on the standard gauge track between Melbourne and
Adelaide

> Yes.
>
> > and what would be it's timings?
>
> A bit better than the Overland, but nothing staggering. It would be
> allowed 130km/h on sections where a pass could do 115km/h, subject to
> local restrictions (i.e. curves).
>
> Cheers
> David

What about then a tilt train with XPT speed eg like the Swedish train that
ran in NSW a year or two back. What would that be capable of given existing
signalling?

The bottom line I am driving at is this -

If GSR decided to bite the bullet and, without major changes to signalling
or track, introduced a higher speed tilt or other train on the Melbourne to
Adelaide route - what would be the best timing express Melbourne to Adelaide
that it could hope for?

Adelaide is about 725 kms from Melbourne. Let's look a couple of years ahead
and assume that Melbourne to Ballarat is now high speed and 1 hour
travelling time (120 km distance). That leaves 600 km to traverse.

I'll take a punt and assume that an average of 120 kph average is possible
with the right train. That's 5 hours. Total time = 6 hour trip.

How does this sound then (assuming all tracks converted to standard gauge
and running via Ballarat)

Departs Traralgon 6.00 A.M arrives Melbourne 7.30 A.M
Departs Mel 8.00 AM arrives Adelaide 2.00 PM
Departs Adelaide 3.00 PM arrives Melbourne 9.00 P.M
Departs Melbourne 9.30 P.M arrives Traralgon 11.00 P.M

This would facilitate a Traralgon to Adelaide service.

cheers Peter