Re: Implications of high speed trains in Victoria

Peter Berrett (pberrett@optushome.com.au) wrote:
> > Even with only 100km/h beyond Ballarat, a day train to Mildura would be a
> > better use of the equipment. The journey time would be roughly 7 hours.

> This raises some interesting questions regarding the line beyond Ballarat.

> 1. What is the maximum permissable speed Mildura to Ballarat currently?

Last I heard, it was 80km/h Ballaray to Ouyen and 65km/h to Merbein. The
V/Line proposal is to raise this to at elast 100km/h all the way.

> 2. Could a specially designed train eg tilt train go faster on existing
> track between Mildura and Ballarat?

The line is fairly straight as is. You're not going to save much time by
tilting.

> 3. What would be the cheapest way to achieve a 5 hour service Mildura to
> Melbourne (thus enabling a daylight round trip assuming Melbourne to
> Ballarat was a 1 hour trip and the rest was express with maybe 1 further
> stop at Maryborough?

5 hours to cover 600 odd km would probably require 180km/h running all the
way. This should give the required average speed of 120km/h.

> 4. Would it be better to create a link from Ouyen to Swan Hill so that
> trains could go via Bendigo?

That has been discussed.

> 5. Why can't existing tracks take trains at 90 mph? They seem flat and
> straight enough.

Staight and flat isn't the only factor. If the track is rough, that keeps
the speed down. You may also need more ballast, you will definately need
improvements to signalling.

The question which hasn't been raised is whether the high speed lines are
going to get some form of cab signalling. During the Violet Town inquest,
VR got around the question of why there wasn't any cab signalling because
they presented the US evidence that was only required for 80mph and above.

Now I know that Britain ran steam at 120mph without cap signalling, but
the rule of thumb these days is 160km/h and above. The US still has the
79mph rule.

Cheers
David