Re: [VIC] End of the line @ Crowes

Craig Haber wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Greg Wickham wrote:
>
> > I was puzzled thou. Standing at the buffer stop it seemed like there was
> > a formation just below
> > and heading further west. How close is the buffer stop to the 'real'
> > location? Near the buffer
> > stop is a display board with a map of the station area. On the map there
> > was no indication that
> > track existed where this other formation is located.
>
> From the way I understood it, the formation below and heading west is that
> of the former road (Great Ocean Road) alignment.  I believe the buffer stops
> themselves are in the spot where they were always located, but the location
> around it has changed enormously.  The 'new' Great Ocean Road actually cuts
> through the up end of the yard, across the up end points.  I have a diagram
> of it somewhere, be buggered if I can find it at the moment.....
>
> Regards,
> Craig

Yes, the formation below *is* the old Great Ocean Road. We had a look along the
line in 1993, and were puzzled when we got to Crowes. We only came across the
sign and rollingstock by accident - has the area been cleared up a bit since
then?

Even though I'm a cartographer by trade, the station sites on the Beech
Forest/Crowes line were probably the hardest to locate of all the lines we have
visited over the years. This was depsite having a copy of "The Beechy" and
topographic maps.

John
--
John Cleverdon, B.App.Sc. (Cartography), AMMSIA
Computer Operator, Beveridge Williams & Co, Melbourne, Ph: 0428 533 792 (B)