Re: Queanbeyan -Cooma Line

Hmmm

Th Vic State Govt has announced High Speed Trains to Traralgon, there is the
possibility of the Cooma line being reopened almost as far as Cooma,
Bairnsdale is a real chance of reopening.

Methinks Orbost will be next to reopen (to carry logs?), followed by
reopening of the line to Bombala.

I know there are greenie problems but a joining of the Orbost line to the
Bombala line doesn't look all that impossible. Will have to repin Gippsland
to standard gauge though but that will probably eventually happen anyway.

Interestingly consider what will happen if Speedrail gets approval for high
speed Sydney to Canberra and Melbourne to Traralgon gets built as a Medium
speed line (and eventually made standard gauge).

We will have the first pieces of a high speed rail link between Melbourne
and Sydney via Traralgon, Bombala and Canberra.

If some reasonable way (ie greenie-friendly) could be found to join Orbost
to Bombala do you think that this line could be viable taking into account
wood freight traffic in both directions and passenger traffic along the
route? I wonder what the timings would be considering that Mel-Traralgon
plus Sydney to Canberra is about 2.5 hours total.

cheers Peter

cheers Peter

NWxB5.9$_p2.5063@news0.optus.net.au">news:NWxB5.9$_p2.5063@news0.optus.net.au...