Melbourne->Ballarat->Ararat 6/10

 Arrived at Box Hill station for the 1000 Connex Comeng, pity an
ordinary comeng came along.  Jump on 1105am Ballarat bound single
sprinter. It left Spencer Street full, I though at least half of the
passengers would get off at Melton,  Bacchus Marsh or Ballan but I was
wrong. Altogether 10 people got off at these 3 stops and the rest of
the passenger(60-70 people) all bound for Ballarat. Saw 8180+8173 wait
at West Footscray for NR90 to pass. N471 hauled an N set passenger
service, and  N469 with H set formed ex-Ballarat 1205 service.
Interesting enough this service indicated first class would provide but
IIRC H set does not have first class. R711+T368 waited at the signal
box outside Ballarat East workshop for us to pass. I jumped off the
Sprinter as soon as I got to Ballarat, ran as fast as I could to get a
shot of R711, but R711 blowed whistle and accelerated. 20 meters short”K
ƒ¼. Had lunch at Ballarat looked around the historical station Y 174
stabled at the lonely freight yard. G511+G214 with a grain train
heading west around 2pm, 1225 ex-Spencer Street service arrived even
fuller then ours. Connection coaches were very well patroned,
especially ours (Stawell/Aratat) and Maryborough service where full
completely. Bendigo and Warrnambool service looked 60% full. Looks like
some passengers came to Ballarat for shopping/business. Potential for
Maryborough/Ararat Sprinter extension might be very promising in terms
of patronage. The coach pass by Ballarat North workshop before enter
Western Highway. Ballarat North workshop is enormous! Similar size as
Newport workshop from what I see. A steam loco D653 display outside the
workshop. 2 Signs written <Alstom Ballarat> outside the wrokshop.

Western Highway more or less follows the railway line. The railway line
looked somewhat rusty but in a good condition. Might not take too much
work to restore service. Finally arrived at Ararat ended a one hour
uncomfortable bus ride with seat belts. Ararat station would need BG
access to platform if the service is to be return. (currently only SG
available)
--
Cheers

RR3