Re: trams riding on flanges

What you are describing is the way Railway Engineers got around not being
able to build a differential into the wheel sets.
Question Why does any car need a Diff. ?
Because when you turn a corner, the outside wheel has to go a longer
distance than the inside wheel.
Without a diff the outside wheel would need to turn much faster than the
fixed axle would allow, and you would hear a lot of screeching as the rubber
tyre burnt itself out on the road.
Now the penny drops! Your tram makes a lot of noise going around sharp
corners........because like the car without a diff....etc etc.
Railway Engineers taper a wheel from the outside edge  gradually increasing
the diameter until it becomes the flange. As it approaches the flange, the
diameter increases at a much faster rate.The back to back measurement of the
wheelset, is actually slightly shorter than the gauge of the track.
The rails are stepped slightly with a base plate, so that the head of the
rail is a closer match to these tapered wheels.
When a railway bogie enters a curve, the wheel that will travel the
furtherest will start to push its flange closer to the head of the rail, and
the diameter of the wheel touching the rail head increases to wards its
maximum. The flange should not actually touch the head of the rail.
The other wheel is now being pulled away from the head of the rail, and of
course the opposite happens, the diameter of the wheel touching the rail
gets smaller..
....Voila...a differential !!
This is how the Railway works, and I guess my observations of tram track
lead me to believe the same would apply to your tram.
Cheers
Rod [comtrain]

Click here for Free Video!!
http://www.gohip.com/free_video/