Re: Today (Sat) on 22 plat. Central

In article <39D81760.94E06F2C@spin.net.au>,
  Magilla Gorilla <choochoo@spin.net.au> wrote:
> What happens if the driver has a heart attack and drops dead?

Yes, the deadman will operate and the train will come to a stop. After
one minute a beeping warning will sound and if the driver does not
cancel within, I think 30 seconds, a radio alarm is sent out to the
control room who then (ha, ha) take action.

The train at the station to the rear of the disabled train detrains and
brings his train up to the other train. He then makes his way to the
front and takes control of the train.

The train behind that train does the same and so on until presumably
they can get an extra driver down to make the numbers.

This is rather charmingly called "leap frogging".

Given LUL's notoriously slow reaction to emergencies (I think their
brains are a form of 286 computer) if the driver had not already died
he certainly would be by the time the relieving train driver got there!

Regards

Frank

> antstig@my-deja.com wrote:
>
> > We have DOO at London Underground Ltd (LUL) and I think it's great
not
> > having guards. It was OK if you had a good guard but a nightmare if
you
> > had a clueless one.
> >
> > Also on our DOO trains, the train cannot move with the doors open.
We
> > also have a Correct Side Door Enabler which in plain English means
that
> > you can't open the doors on the wrong side.
> >
> > We have mirrors and monitors which are rarely vandalised. Curved
> > platforms are no problems unless the mirrors and monitors are
> > defective, in which case the driver has to get a "right" from
station
> > staff.
> >
> > I don't know if SPADs have increased. It's an interesting point
which I
> > will take up with the unions and management.
> >
> > The downsides are that it is more tiring driving (but more money -
it
> > would have even been more if the unions had accepted the original
offer
> > instead of fighting DOO) and also if the train catches fire the
> > passengers to the rear of the fire are left to fend for themselves.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Frnak
> > In article <39D58461.17AB64B0@spin.com>,
> >   magilla gorilla <choochoo@spin.com> wrote:
> > > Today on 22 platform there nearly was a major fatality. A driver
was
> > > coming into the platform and the signal at the end was at stop, he
> > > tripped on the intermediate trip and stopped with half the train
off
> > the
> > > platform. The guard who is one of the more experienced guards
opened
> > the
> > > doors. The driver took off while people were getting on and off.
One