Re: Today (Sat) on 22 plat. Central

Samuel Eades <seades@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
wQFB5.11174$Nr3.37691@news-server.bigpond.net.au">news:wQFB5.11174$Nr3.37691@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

>>> I'm sure a lot of Victorian drivers thought the same
>>> thing just before DOO was introduced in Victoria.
>>> Personally, I like the idea of having a guard on the
>>> train, but a lot of them are their own worst enemy. A lot
>>> of them (yes, I know there are quite a few good ones) are
>>> lazy or incompetent, or just slip up sometimes (as
>>> indicated in this post.
>>> Talking to the Victorian spark drivers, they think that
>>> getting rid of the guards is one of the best things that
>>> has happened to them.

>> I've been told that Melbourne trains aren't as long and
>> that the platforms are straight. Do you use in cab CCTV?

> CCTV for the carriages or platform? The new "Connex Comeng"
> has CCTV for the carriages, but none of the other services
> have them. On all curved platforms (except Greensbrorough -
> where I work, where we still give the driver a "tip"),
> there are CCTV monitors at the end of the platform for the
> driver to see the whole train on (Some platforms are very
> sharply curved, such as West Richmond and Westgarth). I
> don't know about our trains being shorter, but I suppose
> they would be, being up to 7 cars as opposed to your 8. The
> full length for a 7 car train is just under 160m.

Hate to break this to you Sam, but the sparks that trundle past
you every day only have 6 cars. |-)

Mind you, a 3 car Comeng has 9 doors, where as the 4 car 4D (which
is essentially the same as a Tangara) is about the same length,
but with only 8 doors.

I'd say we have more doors in Melbourne.

--
B.

Email - gunzel412 at dingoblue dot net dot au
ICQ#  - 82329734
Phone - long, long, short, long.