Re: (Sydney) Monorail on track for court

David Bromage wrote:

> David McLoughlin (davemcl@NO***damned***SPAMiprolink.co.nz) wrote:

> > I do agree that the monorail is a ghastly eyesore and should be pulled
> > down. But I was surprised to read in that article today how many
> > passengers it was claimed used it.
>   ^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Read: tourists.

Yes. They go over to Sydney from here and come back saying Auckland
needs a monorail.

Last week some company got a blaze of publicity over a plan to string
"monobeams" above Auckland's main roads and freeways, under which would
run "cabin taxis" which would solve the city's transport problems. The
spokesman wanted $1 billion of public money to pay for it. A radio
interviewer asked if any other city used the system and he said "one."
She asked him where and he said : "Wuppertal."

Jesus wept. Imagine a schwebebahn running down the middle of Auckland's
main street. What worries me is that a pile of my taxes will probably go
on some useless study into it.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand