OT - Deja Breaks Down

If some of you have tried using deja a few days ago you might of got a
search for *. I wrote to deja and got the following response.

Greetings,

Thank you for contacting Deja.Com Customer Support- we hope everyone
enjoyed their Thanksgiving holidays.

First of all, our sincere apologies go out to our users regarding the
site being down over the past several days.
Our scheduled "rollover" experienced some problems which effected our
Newsfeed, and this, as well as the skeleton
crew working during this time frame, caused the unusual delay to occur.
( Only approx 30 minutes of newsfeed were
lost during this time and this occured during the early evening of
Friday, Nov. 24 )

Please appreciate that due to the volume of email we have concerning
the issue of our thread digest rollover and
this delay- this response is tailored to answer the questions that some
of you have had as to the *why* we have
to take the servers offline- as well as describing *symptoms* that
occur when the servers are down.

We apologize if you feel this letter is spam- however we like to
educate our users of the symptoms of our routine
maintenance because it is something that will recur (the rollover that
is- not the amount of time offline :) ).

*WHY*
We split our new database and send the older articles into the old
database. We do this to make the current database
manageable and to keep the query returns from this database quick.
This requires us to hold off doing an update of the current database
for a while.  When this happens, no new
messages will either appear in our archive or propagate outward for at
least 24 hours, sometimes longer. We
apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

*SYMPTOMS*  that may have been witnessed by you are as follows.
**************************
-Forums not viewable in Thread digest format.

-No new posts in subscribed forums.

-Inability to mark all messages as read.

-The links to Post or Subscribe to a forum
 are missing from all forums (subscribed and
 unsubscribed).

-When you are reading a message in a forum
 and you click on Forum, it gives you 'Top Forums related to "*" '

-'Recnum parameter is missing' message, also may read as "Malformed
thread
query"

-"Forum not found" message or "No activity in forum"

- Unable to post

*******************************

We appreciate your patience and reports, the site is now back up and
running.

For announcements, please view the public page/soapbox for
customersupport.

http://www.deja.com/[ST_rn=ps]/my/pb.xp?member_name=customersupport

Regards,
Customer Support