Re: Puffing Billy, Zig Zag and the Mt Lyell Abt

Alex Pout (alpout@optusnet.com.au) wrote:
> Wilco <wilco_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 8vt7jp$56i$1@bugstomper.ihug.com.au">news:8vt7jp$56i$1@bugstomper.ihug.com.au...
> > I don't see why PB should give up the loco or carriages, If they had not
> > got/ restored them they would probably not survived anyway.
> > I think PB did offer the Lyall Cars to ABT but they where not interested
> in
> > providing any compensation.
> > PB has a large amount of income from those 4 cars!
> > "Bill Bolton" <billboltonREMOVE-TO-EMAIL@computer.org> wrote in message
> > bg442t486vqs5e7s3k54ioghn2lu32v5tr@4ax.com">news:bg442t486vqs5e7s3k54ioghn2lu32v5tr@4ax.com...

> > "what's in
> > >
> > > What, exactly, is wrong with that?

> Geez fellas, make up your mind, first you give Dorrigo a hard time for
> collecting things, now you're saying that it's great Puffing Billy wants to
> hang onto stuff indefinitely, and not return it to the "rightful" owner.  At
> least try to be consistent.

The difference is that Puffing Billy looks after what it has, and many
cases, where suitable, restores them to running. Many of the items in the
originally in the Menzies Creek museum as static exhibits have been
returned to service (e.g. 1NH, 1NT). The Abt loco has been there twice as
long as many locos at Dorrigo, but is in far better condition. The Mt
Lyell cars have been running for decades (anybody know the exact dates
they returned to service?).

As to suitable cars for the "new Abt", does anybody know how much it cost
to built the NBW cars for the Walhalla Goldfields Railway?

Cheers
David