Re: Puffing Billy, Zig Zag and the Mt Lyell Abt

Wilco <wilco_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
8vt7jp$56i$1@bugstomper.ihug.com.au">news:8vt7jp$56i$1@bugstomper.ihug.com.au...

> I don't see why PB should give up the loco or carriages, If
> they had not got/ restored them they would probably not
> survived anyway.

As far as the ABT loco goes, it has minimal significance as far as
the Mausoleum at Menzies Creek goes, and most people I imagine
would rather see it grinding up the West Coast where it came from.

> I think PB did offer the Lyall Cars to ABT but they where not
> interested in providing any compensation.

The idea was that if Abt Wilderness Railway wanted the Lyell cars
back, then suitable replacements would have to be supplied.

The Abt people obviously realised that if they were to build some
spiffy new cars, which look 'heritage' but have modern
construction to reduce maintenance costs, (which in the case of
the original Lyell cars is significant) then they might as well
have them for themselves.

> PB has a large amount of income from those 4 cars!

Pity they don't accept my Zone 3 Metcard...

--
B.

Email - gunzel412 at dingoblue dot net dot au
ICQ#  - eight two three two nine seven three four
Phone - long, long, short, long.