Re: [NSW] 48 class on a Pass service (well sort of)

Sam Eades wrote:

> Seen on Channel 9 news a 48 class (missed the number) hauling a freight
> wagon with passengers through the flooded north-west! Was this an official
> service or did some people just take advantage of the empty freight wagon?
>
> --
> Sam Eades
> seades@bigpond.net.au

There was an article and a photo in the Herald today. 48108 is pulling a
wagon between Narrabri and Narrabri West.

from http://www.smh.com.au/news/0011/24/national/national1.html

<quote>
Water cut Narrabri into 12 sectors and State Emergency Service
volunteers were helping the State Rail Authority run a service along the
town's railway line to connect the "islands".

Consisting of an open freight car with railway sleepers for seats and
pulled by a 48-class diesel locomotive, the Narrabri Shuttle ran
services between Narrabri West and the Narrabri town station, crossing
three wide stretches of the Namoi River on a high railway viaduct.

The trips took about 15 minutes each way, carrying almost-full loads of
about 35 passengers a time - and for all of them, it was the trip of a
lifetime, a bonus in hard times.

It ran its last service just after 6pm and anyone who missed it was
stranded overnight in town.

It began operating on Wednesday evening and became so popular sightseers
and fun-trippers were banned.

"It's the only way we can get past the flood waters," said Mrs Rosemary
Dick, who took her family into town to do a week's shopping. "Without
it, we would be totally stranded."
<end quote>