Re: [Melb] French trams for the city's Paris end

Ted Gay wrote:

>  snip>
>
> > A Melbourne delegation of transport representatives will travel to France
> in
> > December to study modern tram systems in Strasbourg and Lyon. The group
> will
> > include Transport Minister Peter Batchelor, the chief executive of
> VicRoads,
> > Colin Jordan, the secretary of the Department of Infrastructure, Lindsay
> > Neilson, the chief executive of Yarra Trams, Hubert Guyot, and
> > representatives from local councils.
> >

> I suggest that they include in the junket NSW's Carl Scully the Minister for
> Roads, BIG Roads & HUGEMUNGOUS ROADS and sometimes Minister for Transport.
> Maybe then we would get a tram service from Central Station to Circular Quay
> before 2004, ie before the building of a road tunnel.
>
>  But oh! he was Minister for Roads before he gained the Transport
> portfolio.:-)

There is no way Carl Scully will ever be involved in a light rail
expansion.  Remember he is championing RAPID bus transitways for Western
Sydney which everyone knows is a boondoogle (sorry Kim B) and will only
look after the private bus industry (remember Bus 2000 and its Olympic
successes!).

The sooner Bob Carr replaces him with someone who is concerned with the
public benefit rather than just being a puff merchant the better.

Chris