Re: Train drivers pay in UK

John Kerley wrote in message ...

>Depends where you are, and what your fancies are.

<snip>

>However back to the original question - Do the Brits have a higher standard
>of living - without a doubt, yes.
>I lived there in the seventies and early eighties and returned to Aus for
>the higher standard of living, as well as a bit of sun!  Nowdays the
>situation is completely reversed.  I would be heaps better off if I had
>stayed - silly me - but at least we will still have some sun.  Australia
>really has become the economic arsehole of the universe!

Funny you should say that.  My son has just come back from 3 years in the
UK. He and wife and 2 small knds lived around Abingdon (Near Oxford).
Accommodation was horrendously expensive. As they both needed to work they
had to have 2 cars which cost a fortune in petrol. Childcare was
outrageously expensive.  They now live in Brisbane. House cost well under
$200,000 for 3 bedrooms plus self contained detached studio. Petrol is under
80c per litre.

It appears that the problem is that if you want to live  where the jobs are
it costs a fortune.

Barry Campbell