Re: New form of rail transportation

Vaughan Williams <ender2000@my-deja.com> wrote:

> Fine, but how does this explain why people there use buses when people
> in Melbourne don't?

I believe it is significant part of the reason because a number of
Toronto residents over the years have perosnally indicated to me that
prefer to be out of the winter weather as much as possible and the
subway provides an excellent means of avoiding it.

> It was you that asserted that snow was the reason.

I said that winter travel patterns, that are more or less regarded as
essential by a significant number of toronto residents in the sort of
winter conditions that Toronto experiences, set the annual paterns in
a way that does not apply to Melbourne.

> Toronto's cold climate does not explain why people use it, the
> high quality of service does.

Or is the "high quality" of service simply of product of the traffic
on offer because it in the best practical alternative?  That is just
as likely an explanation.

> Its you that argued Toronto's cold climate was the reason people use
> public transport there.

How do you expect people on Detriot etc to use public transport which
isn't there?

> It suggests snow isn't the reason Toronto outperforms Melbourne,
> because 50 years ago the reverse was the case.

It suggest nothing of the sort, its a syllogism at best.

Cheers,

Bill