Re: Alice Springs to Darwin route alignment

In article <3a14ba53.2457613@news.chariot.net.au>,
  taliesin@chariot.net.au (Taliesin Walker) wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2000 22:53:31 +1030, "Arthur Marsh"
> <mars0177@flinders.edu.au> wrote:
>
> >In November's Catchpoint magazine, reference is made to the route of
the
> >Alice Springs to Darwin line, stating that from Katherine north to
Adelaide
> >River (200 km according to the article), the new line will use the
old NAR
> >alignment.
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Arthur.
> Would anyone like to make a rough guess as to how long it will take
> the Ghan to run Adelaide - Darwin. How fast could a passenger service
> run on the proposed new track?
>
> Tali

20 hours for this route I guess. 20+ present running time between
Adelaide-Alice Spring 19 hours =39 hours rough guess.
Of course longer journey for those who travel from Sydney and
Melbourne.

The Alice Spring-Darwin stretch will include a long stop over at
Kathrine IIRC with coach connection tour to local attraction. This
stretch the Ghan will remain to be cruse ship style timing, speed will
not be very fast.

--
Cheers

Railway Rasputin