Re: Glenbrook victims fight for compo

"John Kerley" <deaftech@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
Md3Q5.31538$SF5.552422@ozemail.com.au">news:Md3Q5.31538$SF5.552422@ozemail.com.au...

> Barry Campbell <campblbm@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> z%QP5.31212$SF5.537566@ozemail.com.au">news:z%QP5.31212$SF5.537566@ozemail.com.au...
> >
> > Capping is routine in motor accident (3rd party) legislation and also in
> > workers' compensation for economic reasons but it seems a bit rich to
> > include the railways under such rules given the minute level of
accidents
> > injuring passengers.
> >
> > Dave Proctor - where are you?

Glenmore Park - why? :-)

> In Victoria, under the TAC (Transport Accident Commission) the same
> compensation rules apply to rail and other forms of public transport, as
> they do to motorists, as far as I know.

I believe (although open to correction - am doing some checking, so will get
back to you if wrong) that rail (and other transport) operators were brought
under the motor accidents scheme, in order to level the playing field
between transport modes. Whether this has actually happened (the levelling,
that is) is a matter of debate.

(Wanders off to do some checking).

Dave