Re: Travel patterns (was Re: New form of rail transportation)

Anthony Morton (amorton@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au) wrote:
> I just checked the latest census.  45 people out of a total workforce of
> 42,449 in Blackburn, Nunawading and Mitcham work in Cranbourne.  That's
> around 0.1 per cent.  By comparison 6,996 people work in the Melbourne CBD.
>
> It is upon evidence like this that public transport activists like myself
> emphasise the need for a transport system based on high-capacity radial rail
> links, supported by high-standard local and cross-suburban bus networks.

You've got it the wrong way around. The travel is radial because that's
where the trains go.

But then it is an chicken and egg problem. It's like Sydney as the
busiest international airport - passenegrs go there because that's where
the planes go.

Cheers
David