Re: [NSW] Tangara problems

THe acceleration and thus decelleration via the use of regen has been
lowered.
This was because they had to set up special crews to come and scrape
passengers and crew of walls of the train. (Yes this was a joke.)
Some sets still have faster acceleration/decelleration than others ie
6101/02.
When the Tangaras first came out, drivers could hit the platform doing
100kph and still stop with all cars on the platform. Now 80kph is
considered good.

rgds

Chris Downs wrote:

> Watching Tangaras being driven at Olympic Park is instructive when it comes
> to braking.  Drivers appear for more comfortable approaching a signal at
> danger at a higher speed on 1 in 33 descending (especially compared with K
> sets) or approaching the end of OP's platform in the knowledge that the
> train will stop where they want.  This may be more of an indictment on the
> braking power and consistency of other train types however.
>
> I had a feeling that the service brakes on Tangaras were reduced in power in
> the early 90s.  A full service application on a Tangara was something to
> behold - serious braking power.  Was this so or do drivers not use the 6th
> and 7th service braking notches now because they through standees off their
> feet too readily?
>
> Chris
>
> either s the service braking power of Tangaras reduced
> Jonathan Lau <jonlau@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> > Hubert Lam wrote:
> >
> > > So apart from driver and passenger's complaints about how seats are
> > > hard and terminal doors swining open, what are some of the
> > > technical/mechanical aspects that have proven to be extremely
> > > troublesome? In my original post I referred to the "loud braking"
> > > around year 1993-5 (not 93-5 as in some technical jargon), what was all
> > > that about? I don't seem to hear that sort of noise now.
> >
> > I do recall that Tangara's had loud braking when stopping at stations and
> > flats were developing at a fast rate.
> >
> > At first they blamed the drivers, saying driver error/misuse, but I read
> > somewhere (years ago) that there was a design fault in the electronic
> > brakes circuit board. Apparently the circuit boards tracks were wired to
> > the wrong transistors (or something like that). Once they replaced the
> > boards, the loud braking became history!
> >
> > I think it was around 1992-1993 that they discovered it.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Jon Lau

begin:vcard
n:Harris;Robert