Re: Ballarat to Ararat

> This page
>
> http://people.enternet.com.au/~cbrnbill/maps/devel.htm
>
> makes mention of a feasibility study (to be completed June 2000) into
> extending the Ballarat service to Ararat.
>
> What were the findings of the study? Will it happen?

Media Release

2:00pm, Thursday 27 July

V/LINE ANNOUNCES RESULTS OF FEASIBILITY STUDY INTO RESTORING THE
BALLARAT-ARARAT RAIL LINK

V/Line announced today it could restore train services between Ballarat
and Ararat for only a marginal increase in Government subsidy if the
rail line was upgraded.

The announcement follows completion of a $50,000 feasibility study to
assess the costs of reopening the line. The study, which commenced last
year, is the most up-to-date and comprehensive analysis to be undertaken
since the line was closed in May 1994.

As part of the study, consultants, Connell Wagner, assessed the
condition of the infrastructure. They concluded that an initial capital
investment of at least $5.4 million would be required to make the
infrastructure fit and safe to run passenger services.

This includes sleeper replacement, ballast work, bridgework at the Fiery
and Little Fiery Creek Bridges, upgrades to level crossings, a facelift
for Beaufort Station and re-establishment of a train platform at Ararat.

If the Government commits the initial capital investment for this work,
V/Line believes it could run services with an operating subsidy of just
$1.5 million. This would bridge the gap between what V/Line can earn
from increased ticket sales and the cost of operating the service. At
just $15,800 per route kilometre, this is less than a third of the
average subsidy across V/Line of $57,200 per route kilometre.

"This isn’t a lot of money when you consider that V/Line’s overall
subsidy reduces by over $10 million this year," said Geoff Smithwick,
Managing Director of V/Line Passenger. "A smaller reduction in subsidy
would still mean lower year on year contributions from the Government
and the taxpayer, but would also allow for operation of services between
Ballarat and Ararat."

Sinclair Knight Merz contributed patronage forecasts to the study. Using
a range of service scenarios and established forecasting techniques,
they predict that between 180 and 190 passengers a day would travel
to/from beyond Ballarat if train services were re-instated, of which
around 20 would be new passengers.

"Our aim is to revitalise the country train and coach network by
introducing new and improved services – restoring rail services between
Ballarat and Ararat would take us one step closer to this goal," said
Geoff Smithwick. "If the Government asked us to introduce a daily
service to and from Ararat, it could increase annual patronage to and
from beyond Ballarat from the current level of 61,400 to nearly 69,000 -
an increase of 12%.

"Reopening the line would also support the Government's strategy to
revitalise Victoria’s roads, public transport and ports over the next
four years through a $1.5 billion investment programme, in partnership
with the private sector."

The results of the feasibility study have been submitted to the
Department of Infrastructure for consideration by the Government.

--

C.

WEB   : www railpage org au / vicsig
EMAIL : cmgord at alphalink dot com dot au
ICQ   : three two nine eight nine four five zero

Go join VRN : www egroups com / subscribe / vicrail-news