Re: Safety first in rail system's radical revamp

"David Bromage" <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in message
AMmO5.25$P4.11066@news0.optus.net.au">news:AMmO5.25$P4.11066@news0.optus.net.au...
> Trains will be redesigned, stations remodelled and signal systems
> computerised to improve safety across Sydney's rail network and to cope
> with the rise in commuter numbers, the Glenbrook inquiry was told
> yesterday.
>
> http://www.smh.com.au/news/0011/09/national/national4.html

I quote part of the above article:
    "Automatic train protection systems, similar to those used in Europe,
were             also being examined."

May I suggest that before a junk trip is organised to Europe that the Execs
have a look at a Sydney Tram, all of which are fitted with ATP.  A return
trip on a tram costs $4.50 per person;  a return trip to Europe, hotels,
meals etc say $4500.00!  But if I was a boss I know which I would choose
when the expense can be passed on  to the taxpayers.

Ted