Re: Semaphores

John Kerley <deaftech@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
ewpP5.29355$SF5.503524@ozemail.com.au">news:ewpP5.29355$SF5.503524@ozemail.com.au...
> Geoff Downes (Graphic Mountain Pty Ltd)
> <graphicmountain@bigpond.com> wrote in message news:MH0P5.41918
> $e5.54231@newsfeeds.bigpond.com...

>> Thanks guys,
>> Victorian Semaphores are what I'm after - I am Victorian
"biased".

> Well my Victorian Home arm is 142cm long (I only had a metric
tape
> but if my calculations are correct this is 4'8" as reported by
> others) and 26cm wide with the white band 26-46cm from the
square
> or outer end and the pivot point 65cm from the outer end.  This
> found rather interesting as it means that on somersault arms,
the
> pivot is closer to the outer rather than the inner end of the
arm,
> quite a contrast to other types of semaphores.

Indeed, the somersault signal used on the VR, CR and wherever else
they were used originated on the GNR of Scotland (iirc) where they
were designed to overcome the problem of snow weighing
conventional arms down to the proceed aspect.

Although snow isn't a problem in Victoria, or on the Commonwealth
Railways for that matter, they still imho look better. |-)

Not as good as genuine AAR 3 position upper quadrants though...

--
B.

Email - gunzel412 at dingoblue dot net dot au
ICQ#  - 82329734
Phone - long, long, short, long.