(NSW Cityrail) Passenger behaviour

My impression is that passengers are becoming steadily more unwilling to
move out of the vestibules and down or up into the main seating areas, even
when these are not full. There has always been a tendency to step through
the door and stop dead on the spot, on the part of some people, but now
these are more commonly found barricading the doorways completely or sitting
on the stairs.

Why do passengers suffer paralysis immediately upon entry to the car? My
experience is that there is always a seat to be found in the 3-wide benches
(even though you might have to press on in the face of some determinedly
negative body language!). At Town Hall particularly it is difficult to get
off or on through the press of claustrophobic people who think the doorway
is provided for them to stand in. I have heard abuse from suchlike when
requested to let others get off or on.

What is the answer? Don't bother? Blasts of rotten egg gas from a hidden
nozzle? Is it a problem at all?

Geoff