Re: New form of rail transportation

pberrett@optushome.com.au (Peter Berrett) wrote in
<BevP5.10838$Xx3.45889@news1.eburwd1.vic.optushome.com.au>:

>Walk to local Suspended Railway station (Skytrain). Catch Skytrain to
>Bayswater station. Frequency of service = every 15 minutes, 1 stop to
>Bayswater. Catch train (using same ticket) to Box Hill, with train
>running express Ringwood to Box Hill again Frequency of service = every
>15 minutes.

How much money is this going to cost, implementing this highly radical
technology????????

>Better still would be a Skytrain that has wheels on the bottom of the
>carriages. When it arrives at Bayswater it no longer uses the suspended
>railway but uses usual railway tracks. Thus there would be no need to
>change modes of public trasnpor ie catch Skytrain at my local station -
>arrive Box Hill 25 minutes later.

Actually, you could save money. Make the trains tubular, with rotating
insides. when the special train makes it to a station rotate the train
(while the passengers are inside of course) so the wheels are on the
conventional rails. While this is happening the innards turn to keep the
passengers upright - you don't want passengers to fall around like a
washing machine after all (anyway, two sets of seats - one for roof, one
for floor, will be expensive). The circular train can then operate on
normal tracks. This would save money, for all those extra sets of wheels.

(-:

>Now THAT is a public transport solution.

Nah, my idea of a public transport system is little buses that fly 10
metres above the ground, using magnetic levitation (-: Vaughans idea of the
nuclear powered monorail doesn't sound half bad either!

M.

--
To email me, just remove ".spam" or else your reply gets directed to the
bit bucket.

Whip ME, Beat ME. "Windows ME".