Re: Steam builds for Alice to Darwin rail link

Grahame Ferguson wrote in message <3931fd05@nap-ns1.netconnect.net.au>...

>I was told by a former rail executive, that in costing and planning for the
>Darwin to Alice Springs line that they planned for crossing loops at 200 km
>intervals!!!, This was due to the predicted low volume of traffic
initially.
>This is all very fine, but you would not want to be on the Ghan and have to
>be waiting for a late running freight.
>The track weight is going to be 94lb to cut costs!
>I hope that I am wrong on what I have been told, but the person who told me
>was VERY reliable.

Some questions. (Genuine - I don't know the answers)

Loops every 200km would be adequate for 1 train a day but what difference
would increasing the frequency of crossing loops make to the cost of the
project?

What influence does the rail weight have on axle load?

What is the max well laid 94lb rail on concrete sleepers with light traffic
can take?

How much difference does new;y rolled 94lb rail as opposed to new rail of
any other weight cost? Politically I assume the expectation is that it will
be new rail rolled at Whyalla rather than second hand rail, although I doubt
that there would be that much second hand rail available in Australia.

Any answers?

Barry Campbell