Re: Why is it called "up"?

> Agreed, now that out insular little systems have broken out of their
silly
> boundries up and down mean nothing. Its time to go to "westbound",
> "northbound"
>
> I propose it as a new standard for this newsgroup.

Surely up and down makes it easier for aus.railers who aren't familiar
with stations/lines in some states. If you told me something was
travelling 'northbound' in Melbourne I would have to pull out my old
'Met' map (or go to
http://people.enternet.com.au/~cbrnbill/maps/austrail.htm ) to find out
what's what. If you tell me it's 'up' then I know straight away that
it's going towards Flinders Street.
--
a n d R e w ;