Re: V/Line railcars

In article <Jm5X4.456$fr4.754148@news0.optus.net.au>,
  dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) wrote:
> I heard along the grapevine that the new railcars for V/Line will be
based
> on the Deutsche Bahn 612 class. These are 160km/h tilting DMUs built
by
> Adtranz. The V/Line railcars will not be tilting, but will have
provision
> for it.
Mechanical part might be base on these units.
IIRC these railcars, the first version based on Fiat tilt mechanism
were a huge success, but the 2nd version with tilt mechanism developed
by German was a loser as it took DB and Adtranz almost 2 years to
ironed out all the teething problems.  DB and Adtranz claimed the
problem was engine  not German's owned tilt mechanism.

> They look similar to the Xplorer/Endeavour, but have a slightly more
> rounded nose. They have a Cummins engine they have is the later
version of
> that used in the Xplorers.
>
> There is a good picture at
> http://mercurio.iet.unipi.it/pix/de/diesel/dmu/612/612dlf2000.jpg
Railway Digest/Newsrail/Track and signal all published the artist
impression of these DMUs. Interesting enough, all the artist impression
showed a 3 cars set with Countrylink/SJ colored :-)

--
Cheers

James

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/