Re: D57 Class [was Re: 6029]

Jonathan Lau <jonlau@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
392B8187.E57FE9E@ozemail.com.au">news:392B8187.E57FE9E@ozemail.com.au...
> David Bromage wrote:
>
> > It would be no worse than a main line run of 1210 or a standard goods. I
> > think the real reason for not liking the D57 is the weight.
> >

> I can't remember how much a D57 weighs, but surely today's modern trackage
with 53 or
> 63kg/m rails and concrete sleepers could handle it.
>
> But one thing I just remembered was that D57 weren't allowed to work North
> Newcastle because they were out of gauge. Perhaps this is another reason
why RAC don't
> want to see 5711 running again?

I would have thought "out of gauge" was less of an issue these days with
wide-bodied suburban sets running to more places, and some of the worst
obstructions cleared during electrification etc. I thought the real problem
was speed - my two bob worth. The reputations that classes of steam locos
had back in those days was in the context of other steam locos - we have
since had heavier and bigger diesels than the 57 but it was a monster for
its time