Re: [VIC] PA Announcements at Hillside stations.

> > >Why do you need to validate it each day? What happens if you are
found
> > >with an non validated monthly/yearly. Can they even tell if it is?
> >
> > The portable ticket readers can tell where the ticket was last
validated.
> > There was a blitz recently whereby people with un-revalidated
periodicals
> > had them confiscated and a $60 issued, or something to that effect.
> >
> > Michael
>
> But why?
> They've paid their fares. They aren't avoiding the fare. In the case
of
> a yearly, they've probably paid a lot of money.
> If a ticket inspector comes along, they should only need to look at
the
> ticket and see that it is valid for the date and zone, and move on to
> the next passenger.

The answer is that there is no good reason.
If the ticket is validated once, ie, has a printed date on the back,
there is no good reason why the passenger should have to continually re-
validate it for the convenience of the bean counters running the system.

Also, on my reading of the Transport Act, fining people for not re-
validating an already valid ticket is dubious. As far as I can tell, if
its been validated once, its valid. I'm aware of at least one person
who argued this before a magistrate and had the fine thrown out of
court.

Can anyone point me to any legislation or case law on this? And I don't
mean XSide trains policy booklets or anything told to the CSE's in
training. I'm looking for any law on the subject.

Vaughan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.