Re: ----The s-p-e-e-d of a train-----[ NSW]

" Ian" <iansmith@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
392a4e31$0$2613@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:392a4e31$0$2613@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
> In other words it's up to a person locked up on their own (driver ) to
> decide on how fast the train will go today........With the help of some
> signs and a signal or two..........Is that correct?

Not quite. There are speed boards on the side of the line. Yellow boards
with black lettering for normal trains. These boards give the speed limit
for the next section of the track. If the number is prefixed with an X, it
is the speed for trains taking the turnout.

The speedboards operate in conjunction with the signals. So whilst the
signals do not tell the driver how fast s/he can go, they give an
indication. It would be foolhardy for a train to be doing 115 km/h when the
signal just passed was Green over Red (since the next signal is either Low
Speed or Stop) for example.

There are also Speed Restriction boards, which apply when the track needs a
bit of work. They are *supposed* to be temporary though.

Dave