Re: [melb] new trams and seating

David Bromage <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> said:

>Morphett (morphett@one.net.au) wrote:
>> Heard on the grapevine that the new trams that are on order for both
>> companies (Swanston & Yarra trams) will have about 30% less seating
>> than existing trams.    I guess they want to squeeze us in a little
>> tighter?
>
>I can't quite see how 3 and 5 segment Combinos would have lower capacity
>than Ws and Zs.

Firstly, there's a difference between seating and capacity. Usually, for
the same size, less seating means more crush capacity anyway. Seating takes
up a lot of valuable standing room. Compare a Hitachi and Comeng to guage
this (similar dimensions, different capacity, different seating).

Secondly, who said he was comparing with the W's and Z's? There are B class
trams to compare with, and considering the sizes of the new trams compared
with that of the W's, Z's A's and B's, it's logical to think that the
comparison is with a B.

OTOH, the articulations may take up a lot of valuable space too.

Regards

Michael