Re: XPT terminated at sunshine

"Me" <matt@smart.net.au> wrote in message
8g31rg$p6b$1@perki.connect.com.au">news:8g31rg$p6b$1@perki.connect.com.au...
> Today's daylight Syd-Mel XPT was terminated at Sunshine according to GSR
at
> Spencer St due to a freight derailment at "Footscray", and the Overnight
> Mel - Syd XPT has been replaced by busses from Spencer St to Sunshine.
>
> Does anyone know if there is a Standard gauge platform at Sunshine? If so
> can an XPT fit on it?

There is an SG platform at Sunshine, although it is in a pretty dilapidated
condition, having not been used for at least 9 years.

> Do Countrylink have (or can they get) facilities to clean, rewater, turn
> around an XPT at Sunshine?

>From memory, they do not rewater the XPT at Spencer St (although open to
correction). As for refuelling, this would have been done on ST2 at Albury,
I would imagine. Cleaning probably would have been done (mostly, not
totally) by the on-board crew, three of whom are Albury based and one is
Junee based, so they are there for the turnaround. If the train was ontime,
they would have had a bit of time to kill anyway.

> Does anyone know where the derailment is? It has to be farther than
> Tottenham as the Overland was still due at
> Spencer St at 7:45pm
> (Great timetabling GSR/Countrylink, Adelaide train arrives Melbourne at
> exactly the new departure time of the XPT)

You don't really expect them to co-operate WRT scheduling, do you?

Dave