Re: How much HP does FA need

-> For those who know to those of us curious...how much HP is needed by FA
> facilitate their upcoming (yet to be initiated) contracts (won tenders
etc) as
> well as those jobs that FA are eyeing off but yet to consumate.
>
> Seems a pity they passed up the 422's as being GM boxes they would have
> slotted well into the GM regime that is FA.
>
> If FA won the WestRail race..would the windfall of the L's (as carcasses
for
> rebuilding) be sufficient for their needs elsewhere??
>
> cheers >:~)) Richard-

I guess the biggest problem with your question is that F/A are not going to
even admit that they have a problem. It would be a "Commercial" mistake to
admit they had any problems at all. There is a very strong rumour around
that they are avoiding asking R/A for much needed cash, and that might be
why they did not try for the 422's. Another says that NSW did not want F/A
to have them, because they would be used to inflict a lot more damage in NSW
by a competitor who is already inflicting much damage. ASR are not likely to
roam into NSW at this time.
The L's are pretty much had it, and have suffered major cracks and fatigue
fractures over the years. They are pretty basic, and would not in my
opinion, be worth the trouble and expense of rebuilding. [much the same as
the "S" class and Gm's. Only an total ["A" class type] rebuild would be
useful, and those days are gone for ever.
Rod Young
http://hobsonmodelrail.rrdepot.com/
Foundation President and Co-Founder
Hobsons Bay Model Railway Club Inc.
Operators of Australia's only 'Australian' Model Railway Show
Every Easter in Melbourne.
and my page
http://hobsonmodelrail.rrdepot.com/rods