Re: Fuel excise regime for Rail & Road after 1 July

The basic problem is that the GST is 10% added to the value of the petrol
(cost + excise + profit).  The existing fuel excise will be reduced to
offset the introduction of the GST (I assume the excise is levied at
cents/litre and will have a consistent c/litre decrease rather than a %
decrease).

Therefore petrol in Sydney with a value of 88c/litre would remain 88c/litre
(88c/litre minus 8c/litre excise = 80c/litre plus 10% = 88c/litre).  In the
country at 98c/litre (98c/litre minus 8c/litre excise = 90c/litre plus 10% =
99c/litre).  The price remained the same in Sydney but rose by 1c/litre in
the county.  Thus a significant political problem.

Chris

03mnhs8l6areg3js925l0eqjfp993p517e@4ax.com">news:03mnhs8l6areg3js925l0eqjfp993p517e@4ax.com...