[MELB] Frankston line accident Sun 8 May

Sometime around 11am yesterday (Sunday 8 May) a man was hit and killed
by a City-bound train at or near the pedestrian crossing-point on the
Frankston line near Cricklewood Avenue (between Frankston and Kananook
stations). According to local residents here, the man was decapitated
(trains at this point are going full bore). It was not clear if it was
an suicide or an accident. (Although in my experience having crossed at
this point maybe a hundred times, it would be hard to be hit on accident
- while there are no boom gates or such, visibility of the line from the
crossing is good and trains always sound their horns). A small woodden
cross and flowers marked the spot this morning when I walked my dog
past.

This was not in 'The Age' this morning and I have seen no mention of it
anywhere; maybe these things are so commonplace now ....

Services on the Frankston line were of course affected; buses replaced
trains between Frankston and Carrum until somewhere around 2pm. Buses
used in the operation were from Peninsula (Frankston) and Grenda's
(Dandenong). When I cycled past around 12 noon, State Emergency Service
crews were preventing cars from crossing the busy intersection of Wells
Rd- Dandenong Rd- Skye Rd - Overton Road as the boom gates were stuck
down. A level crossing between Seaford and Carrum was also observed to
be stuck down around 12.15pm.

Tony.

 TONY LAMMENS;  Melbourne, Australia;  lammens@connexus.net.au
                http://home.connexus.net.au/~lammens/