Re: Wallerawang-Gwabegar

"John MacCallum" <johnmac@lisp.com.au> wrote in message
390E1D09.357FE3BD@lisp.com.au">news:390E1D09.357FE3BD@lisp.com.au...

> Frowned upon by the thought Police eh!
> Did your computer explode? Did the Internet
> crash? Did the Newsgroup disappear?

None of this happened, but people who pay for every single byte that they
download had to pay slightly more for their net access. One binary will not
add a lot to their bill, but if 100 people all did it daily, their bill
would skyrocket. When I was with Telstra Direct (hooked straight into the
backbone) I was paying 19c per meg for every meg that I downloaded. 19c does
not sound like much BUT you get 200 meg more than is necessary (very easy to
do if people insist on binaries in non-binaries groups, HTML in newsgroups
or email - 200meg is not that much really) that is an extra $38 I have to
pay for that month, money which could be very easily avoided. Are you (who
wishes to see binaries in non-binaries groups) willing to subsidise the
extra cost of net access for people who are charged either in this way or
have set limits per month?

> For my money something other than the usual inane drivel that
> appears on this News group under the pretence of being Interesting
> is to be encouraged.

Then unsubscribe from aus.rail and subscribe to alt.binaries.pictures.rail
if you do not like it.

> Heh if you don't want to look at the picture then close your eyes!

What about people who download everything and read it all offline? It is too
late then to halt the download, it has tied up the phone line for that extra
period it takes to download it, and it costs extra money - all of which can
be avoided by posting it to the correct group in the first place.

Dave