Re: [NSW]East Maitland

james_ccj@my-deja.com wrote in message <89sm2v$9ri$1@nnrp1.deja.com>...
>I noticed East Maitland has a "side platform" looking towards Morpeth
>direction. Is this a remains of the SMR branch or one of the State
>Rail's old branch?

These are the remains of the junction for the Morpeth branch which was one
of the earliest  branches on the NSWGR. It was mostly worked by conventional
trains but for a time it was worked by steam tram motors and trailers.
AFAIK, the last (of 3?) stations in the town still exists. Morpeth was the
head of navigation and hence this is why the town warranted a railway. It
was one of the first branches to close in about 1954.

Barry Campbell