Re: CityRail Websites

daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au (Dave Proctor) wrote in
<WOH65.289511$VR.4246578@news5.giganews.com>:

>I didn't think you could get a *.com.au domain registered unless you had
>the business name registered as well. Mike?

Interesting policy on this actually. The domain name has to be a derivation
of the business name. The criteria is something along the lines of, being
able to spell the domain name by using the business name, and not mixing up
any letters. e.g. if some intelligent person wanted "milkbar.com.au" then a
business name of "Milky Way Bar" could be derived. The company however
wouldn't be able to get "milkybarway.com.au" since a mix of letters is
required.

>Interesting to look up the AUNIC entries - 15 October for cityrail and
>15 November for statetransit, so they have been registered for a while.

Just as a rough guess, Cityrail will want their com.au domain in a little
while from now, and will be held at ransom. Laws are changing though, and
making hijacking of a domain like this illegal. Individuals in the US of A
have already been sued by companies for doing this. McDonalds on the other
hand tried a bit early, didn't realise they had a legal leg to stand on,
and ended up paying $10,000US or something rediculous to get their domain.

Michael

--
     Email: michael {DOT} kurkowski {AT} gunzel {DOT} net
          (Any mail sent to usenet.spam@gunzel.net